Sunday, May 07, 2006

Funny thing happened...

I've arrived at a pseudonym for my beautiful wife, until something better comes along: BW. Get it? In case you don't, I gave you a clue. All of us are doing fine.

The funny thing that happened isn't really ha-ha funny; it's moreso unique, different, and (unfortunately) expected and perhaps even overdue. And due to its incredibly sensitive nature, I've gotta speak really broadly. Let's just say that last Saturday, a person close-but-very-distanced from our family was put in a very safe place for a little while due to consequences of this person's previous actions. It's not pretty, but like I mentioned, it's not totally unexpected. This person was estranged from most of us already, and this was kind of the nail in the coffin. And the policy around the campfire is that if this person honestly got help and made (and showed) serious efforts to change the bad parts of the life, this person would be let back into our lives. That hadn't happened, and he (alright, that's as specific as I'm gonna go!!) burned his last bridge.

You know how they say some people need to hit rock bottom before they get the kick in the ass they need to change their bad habits? For me at least, it was true. When I was drinking too much, BW (back when she was BG) gave me a severe tongue-lashing about it, telling me how dare I even think of driving home in my condition, and even worse, having my brother be in the car. That was possibly the maddest I've ever seen her at me, and she hath fury like no other at times. Needless to say, it was a low point for me, and I decided to take away a lesson from it. I haven't drunk a drop of alcohol since. Don't really need it; my life is complicated enough without it. That day seven years ago was the lowest point I needed; maybe others need something a little more dramatic before they find it in them to change.

On another note...
A buddy of mine gave me a copy of Joe Jackson live in 1979 at the Park West. It's a great soundboard-quality concert, so I cleaned it up, redid the track markers (his version sometimes included two songs in one track), and designed a custom cover for it. On the left is the inspiration; on the right is my cribbed version. Yes, I take this stuff very seriously sometimes. But by and large, I'm usually satisfied with the end result.

Record of the Day: The Blues Brothers, "Jailhouse Rock"
Jake and Elwood turn in a fine performance of this Elvis classic, live at Joliet Correctional. I mean, how can you screw up with Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, Willie "Too Big" Hall, Tom "Bones" Malone, Mr. Fabulous, Murphy Dunne, and Blue Lou Marini as your backup band? Like any good backing band, they were gellin' like a felon (ahem)...

1 Comments:

Blogger DJMurphy said...

Yikes, words to goad a dude into action. I wonder if I could get Tommy Stinson to play bass for me.

May 12, 2006 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home