Thursday, April 02, 2015

I've been thinking...

I've been an ecstatic consumer of music for all my life, but for some weird reason, there's a little voice in my head pulling at me, telling me that it's time to contribute some of my own to the world. I have no idea if it's going to be any good, or if anyone will want to ever listen to it more than once out of curiosity. But maybe that isn't the only reason to make music anyway. There's always a very good chance the songs I write will really suck. Maybe those songs never make it out of the basement. But then again, what if some of the songs I write DON'T suck? 

And if I'm going to do this, I don't want to play it safe. I look at Geddy Lee of Rush, and the singing that he did on 2112. There's absolutely no way that he can sing those songs easily today; his voice has changed. I'm sure a voice in his head realizes this and says, "what the hell was I thinking when I wrote that song?" I want to write songs like that. Songs that might be easy to perform at 42 might be difficult for me to perform at 72. I'll need to not take that into consideration when I write. I need to write today's songs today, future feasibility be damned.

So what am I waiting for?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jake said...

Do it!

April 13, 2015 7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home