Saturday, November 07, 2009

My Kids Will Rock You!!

My kids are still a little young (my son is 5 1/2, my daughter is 2) to be getting into my music. However, every once in a while, my son has wild ways of letting me know that we do actually have points where our tastes intersect. Apparently, at the daycare center he goes to, someone put Queen's "We Will Rock You" onto a mix CD; whenever it comes up, my son really gets into it. Since this was unbeknownst to me, imagine how shocking it was when I heard him start singing it one day out of nowhere at home. So today while we were running our typical 1,001 Saturday errands, I decided to bring with my copy of Queen's Greatest Hits (the British one with the original cover as seen here, with 17 tracks). I put it on track 16, and watched my son go nuts!! My daughter really loves her brother, and even though she's still learning to talk more or less, she was right there singing along with him. I was even teaching him that he has to slap his knees twice then clap; he was getting into it!! So now I want to get him into some of the other great songs on that CD, like "We Are The Champions", "Flash" (God, does sci-fi camp have any better anthem than this?), and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" (which appears on another somewhat surprising point of intersection between us, my copy of Chipmunk Punk). And I know he likes Madonna's "Cherish", which is pretty cool for a five-year old. It's still too soon to expect him to dig My Bloody Valentine's "You Made Me Realise", but I'll work him up sloooooowly to that!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boy sings "Rock N'Roll All Night" by Kiss.

November 08, 2009 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home